A roadside memorial in Eagles Road, Harcourt marks the site of the first permanent European settlement in the valley.
In 1845 the pioneer Dr. William Barker built the head station of his 30,000 acre squatting run on the southern bank of the nearby creek. Superintendent C J La Trobe stayed here with Dr Barker several times.
Ceremonies were held at this site in 1995 to mark 150 years of settlement.
The Dja Dja Wurrung had been displaced from the valley before Dr Barker arrived on the scene.
- Gold Discovery Cairn
- Vick’s Viaduct